Wednesday, August 29, 2007
Stupid In America
10:43 AM ♥ Jinx ♥ Perma 0 comments

I just watched a video on youtube that I really think you should all watch too. Granted, it is pretty long, but it's really worth it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pfRUMmTs0ZA

It's about public schools, and how they are failing american children. It explains that public school is basically a monopoly, and they have low standards because they have no reason to compete. Think about it, the example in the video says something like, if you went to a restaurant and they served you bad, what would you do? You wouldn't go there anymore. But what if there was NO choice? Well then, you're stuck, and it doesn't matter how you are treated, because there isn't really anywhere else to go. That's what public schools are doing!

It boggles my mind. Especially the one comment a teacher(I'm pretty sure it was a teacher) said, she states that competition isn't good for kids, it's not for human beings.

Oh my GOODNESS! could she BE anymore wrong? I know that I personally get MUCH more motivated if I know something is a competition, because there is a REASON to excel.

Just my thoughts. I have to go to school work now, lol.

Edit: wanted to clarify a bit so I don't sound like a jerk lol. About the competition thing.. I have a good example about how it's a good motivational tool!

We had a speaker at band camp come and well, speak to us, lol, and he had us play musical chairs. Most of the people couldn't have been less enthusiastic, so we played a couple rounds, and nobody really got into it. Then the speaker told us that he had thought that we would break the record, and that he was dissapointed (or something like that) so then everyone tried a lot harder. It was because of the fact that we wanted to be the best.

lol hope I don't come across as a jerk...

That's all I suppose... ^_^ ~Skootle